A server is a segment of computer hardware or software that provides functionality such as computer resources, data, programs, and services for other programs or devices called clients. This architecture is called the client-server model. A client can simultaneously behave like a server if it shares resources with a client connected to the network.
There are a variety of servers, each performing different functions. A network can be made up of several servers and types. Server types include file servers, application servers, print servers, mail servers, web servers, Domain Name System (DNS) servers, proxy servers, database servers , monitoring and management servers, and virtual servers.
Today, with ever-increasing data consumption, businesses are rapidly evolving to meet growing infrastructure needs. Naturally, more servers are introduced into the networks to provide functionality to clients.
It is tedious and expensive for IT administrators to manually manage tasks related to server management and critical applications. Network server management software enables IT administrators to simplify and speed up management of network health and improve the efficiency, availability, and security of network servers.
What to look for in network server management software
When selecting a network server management platform, here is what you should look for:
- A network server management tool should provide a centralized view of your corporate network across all servers. Data visualization allows easy monitoring and management of network health.
- Automation of light and critical tasks is a must.
- Creating integrated reports for advanced performance analysis is a must.
In this guide, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about Datadog and NetCrunch.
Read also : The Ultimate Guide to Server Management Software
Datadog is a modern software-as-a-service (SaaS) monitoring and security platform that provides a centralized view of your systems, applications, services, and teams, with an easy-to-use interface, effortless deployment, wide technological coverage and minimal maintenance requirements.
The platform provides visualizations, metrics, and alerts to ensure your teams can maintain and optimize cloud or hybrid environments. Overall, Datadog enables efficient communication and troubleshooting.
- With over 450 built-in turnkey integrations, Datadog seamlessly brings together metrics and events across the development and operations (DevOps) stack. Integrations include Microsoft Active Directory, Apache ActiveMQ, Adobe Experience Manager, Aerospike, Airbrake, Apache Airflow, and Akamai DataStream.
- With full visibility into applications, you can monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize performance.
- With automated tagging and correlation, you can see log data in context.
- You can enable post-mortem and root cause analyzes and track tens of thousands of out-of-the-box metrics.
- Datadog provides end-to-end visibility into the user experience with critical monitoring of the user journey, management of service level agreements (SLA) and service level objectives (SLO), as well as detection and alerts performance issues.
- With user experience metrics, you can prioritize business and engineering decisions.
- You can view traffic flow to understand performance by using tags to filter traffic.
- You can create interactive, real-time dashboards for manipulating and graphing data.
- You can take a snapshot of potential issues and create an alert.
- You can receive critical alert notifications via email, Slack, PagerDuty, etc.
- Datadog offers flexible pricing plans to suit your scale. You can try the solution for free for two weeks and monitor as many servers as you want.
Read also : The Fundamentals of Good Service Level Agreements
AdRem Software’s NetCrunch network monitoring platform allows you to monitor your business infrastructure around the clock with a 360-degree view, visualize with maps and dashboards, and easily configure alerts .
NetCrunch is a fully customizable monitoring platform that offers flexible viewing, comprehensive, agentless monitoring, alerts, and policy-based configuration. NetCrunch Monitoring Suite is an all-in-one package that includes NetCrunch for SNMP devices, NetCrunch for network infrastructure, and NetCrunch Performance Monitor.
- Package includes over 400 monitoring, service and sensor packages, over 8,700 precompiled Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Basic Management Information Modules (MIBs), and over 500 supported vendors out of the box .
- The solution is suitable for businesses of all sizes. You can use the solution to monitor as few as 50 to 100 devices and scale up to 10,000 devices at your convenience.
- NetCrunch Platform, the core module of the solution, offers custom views, superior dashboards and charts, graphical and smart maps, monitoring dependencies, active alert view, alert escalation, correlation of alerts and desktop, web and mobile consoles.
- SNMP & Core Monitoring module offers custom network monitoring services, customizable device SNMP views, MIB compiler, SNMP traps and notifications, switch monitoring and port mapping and printer monitoring.
- The Logs, Servers, Virtualization, and Application Monitoring module provides server monitoring with operating system (OS) performance monitors for Windows, macOS, Linux, Solaris, BSD, and FreeBSD. The module also offers SQL (Structured Query Language) sensors and log monitoring.
- The Traffic Flow Analyzer module visualizes traffic for any custom view and supports IPFIX, NetFlow, sFlow, jFlow, cFlow, rFlow and NetStream.
- The Advanced Alerting and Monitoring module offers advanced thresholds with baselines, advanced alert conditions and enterprise state nodes.
- The advanced configuration module offers personalized monitoring policies, organizational groups, multi-user management, monitoring templates and dynamic folders.
- You can try the full version of NetCrunch Monitoring Suite for one month, free of charge, by downloading and installing NetCrunch Platform Server. You must register your essay for the same. If you don’t want to sign up, you can try the package, free of charge, for a week.
Datadog vs. NetCrunch
Here is a tabular analysis of Datadog and NetCrunch Monitoring Suite:
|Characteristics||Datadog||NetCrunch Monitoring Suite|
|Meets the requirements||✔|
|Ease of use||✔|
|Value for money||✔|
|Quality of assistance||✔|
|Likelihood of recommending||✔|
|Overall capacity rating||✔|
Clearly NetCrunch is the best overall solution. NetCrunch Monitoring Suite offers SNMP and backend monitoring, logs, servers, application virtualization and monitoring, traffic flow visualization and analysis, advanced monitoring and alerting, as well as advanced configuration capabilities.
Although NetCrunch Monitoring Suite is robust and well designed, the fact that it must be installed on every system from which you want to administer NetCrunch can be a deciding factor – true remote management is out of reach without individual system installation.
Datadog is more convenient in this regard as a Cloud Monitoring as a Service (CMaaS) solution. Datadog offers ten pricing plans to suit your scale, plus a two-week free trial and (potentially) volume discounts.
Network server management software features include 360-degree visibility of infrastructure, over 450 built-in integrations, log management, traffic flow visualization, real-time interactive dashboards, critical issues and root cause analysis.
Analyze both network server management platforms and purchase the solution that best fits your business needs.
Read more : Network Server Management: Paessler PRTG vs. Progress WhatsUp Gold