UK, reading. February 28, 2022 – IGELprovider of the next-generation Edge operating system for cloud workspaces, today announced that Getech has selected its endpoint software running on LG Cloud Device thin client devices as part of a company-wide strategic shift to cloud-based desktop virtualization and updating aging desktop hardware.
This is a notable customer win for IGEL and LG. Getech is a leading thin client distributor in the UK, based on revenue, market knowledge and sales expertise. In addition to all the other well-known brands it supplies, Getech has selected IGEL OS and LG for its own enterprise solution.
Getech Headquarters in Ipswich
Guy Watts, Managing Director of Getech, explains: “We have been selling IGEL technology for six years. IGEL OS was chosen because it is hardware independent – it runs on any x86-64 device – and offers a variety of cost, manageability and security benefits. This means we can truly tell our customers that IGEL OS works, backed up by detailed technical advice based on our own experiences.
Founded in 1989 and privately owned, Getech is a hybrid distribution and reseller business headquartered in Ipswich with a 4,000m² storage facility. The site brings together the configuration and engineering centers, logistics, commercial and administrative functions of the company. Revenue for the year ending December 2021 was £72m, with thin client activity accounting for £12m.
Capitalizing on its familiarity with Microsoft Windows server platforms and applications, Getech migrated to Azure Virtual Desktops (AVD) – using six Windows 10 multi-session hosts – while installing the CL600 thin client running IGEL OS. This has a built-in AVD client allowing for easy connectivity. Two 24-inch LG monitors for each of its 85 employees were also purchased.
Deployment was simple: 10 minutes per workstation managed by Getech itself department by department, with IGEL Universal Management Suite (UMS) then used to manage the entire fleet of workstations.
The investment in AVD has also enabled Getech staff to work from home efficiently and easily during the coronavirus pandemic, as the new platform is accessible via a standard browser and optimized for Microsoft Teams so that video telephony and collaboration in the workplace are provided reliably.
The company previously used Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2012 R2 and it was impossible with this legacy platform to provide this kind of functionality to the entire company.
Michael Peck, IT Manager at Getech, says, “Using Windows Server 2012 R2 has caused various issues. System administration was difficult, new apps like Teams are not supported, updates will end soon, R2 has the look and feel of outdated Windows 8 technology, so the user experience is not great, and staff had trouble logging in every morning as the system was slow. It could literally take a few minutes. In a nutshell, Windows Server 2012 R2 creaked at the seams and didn’t meet today’s requirements, hence the change.
Also, from a workstation perspective, Getech’s LINUX-based thin client terminals were already eight years old – long in the tooth from a performance and security standpoint – and did not support AVD. Watts adds, “The replacement upgrade was on our radar long before the pandemic hit. The Covid and the obligation to offer remote work to staff with videoconferencing tools have pushed this investment program forward.
Various advantages of a combined AVD, IGEL OS and LG desktop solution have been realized:
1. Lower cost. AVD meant that Getech moved away from Windows Server 2012 R2 on-premises – solving its operational issues – while reducing the number of [physical] servers within the company. That meant a reduction from 25 to 6 with more to come. More money is saved as the company’s disaster recovery facility has also been shut down as it now has an AVD solution which is a proven alternative to a physical DR suite.
Also, compared to other competing products, LG Cloud Device CL600 thin clients were offered at an attractive price as they came in a blank chassis without an operating system. IGEL OS was then loaded immediately. Additionally, LG Cloud Device thin clients have a compact fanless design. This means they are quieter, take up less space and consume less energy, which lowers operating costs.
Eleanor McBryde, General Manager of IT Solutions, LG Electronics, said, “In Spring 2022, IGEL OS will also be available pre-installed on select LG All-in-One thin clients. The collaboration between IGEL and LG Business Solutions is the result of device validation through the IGEL Ready program as IGEL continues to expand its partner ecosystem.
2. Improved performance. In addition to the speed of the new LG terminals – which each feature powerful Intel Celeron Quad Core processors and 4GB/8GB DDR4 memory options – the AVD login process now takes seconds instead of two minutes. at peak times like with Windows Server 2012 R2. Staff then access Office 365 and a bespoke in-house developed ERP system called G-Sys which combines CRM, sales and finance modules.
3. Satisfied users and better team collaboration. AVD also supports Microsoft Teams for reliable desktop video telephony and workgroup collaboration. All users are better off with larger 24-inch LG monitors that are ergonomically designed, attractive and perform well. Watts adds, “Unmatched by its competitors, LG offers a superb range of cloud-based devices, including desktops, mobile thin clients with screens, and all-in-one units with monitors in various sizes: 24, 27 and 34 inches. »
4. Improved reliability and superior platform flexibility. With the old Windows Server 2012 R2 platform, the IT team spent a lot of time troubleshooting and resolving issues, which often involved shutting down the system out of hours. AVD’s reliability means that the focus is now on using productive development time to improve the overall environment. Peck says, “Different users work on different virtual machines. With AVD, these are now all in a pool, so it doesn’t matter if I take one offline and update it, staff can use the others. Before, each department had its own server and when updates were needed, the respective system could not be used.
5. Simplified management. The UMS Central Management Console makes it easy to power up new LG devices powered by the IGEL OS, set them up in the right workgroup, and then configure them to suit the user’s individual needs.
6. Greener computing. Watts says, “Another reason to switch to AVD and use LG Cloud Device thin clients is that our environmental task force has reviewed our on-site power consumption. Moving to the cloud contributes to our ISO 140001 certification and the achievement of our net zero carbon footprint strategy.
Watts concludes, “Our confidence in selling an LG-IGEL OS solution has increased since we deployed it ourselves. I’m thrilled to say this has resulted in increased sales and greater pipeline construction in 2022.”
Simon Townsend, IGEL’s Marketing Director, said, “The process was easy for Getech to adopt AVD for its VDI solution while installing LG thin clients running IGEL OS. The time between deciding to do something after lockdown and rolling out was incredibly short. The best thing is that Getech is a true IGEL evangelist; they practice what they preach. They sell our solution which they use themselves with pleasure.
To watch or link to a movie about the Getech project, see link. https://youtu.be/fJJwX19LqzA
IGEL on social media
IGEL community: www.igel.com/community
IGEL delivers the next-generation Edge operating system for cloud workspaces. The company’s world-leading software products include IGEL OS™, IGEL UD Pocket™ (UDP) and IGEL Universal Management Suite™ (UMS). These solutions include a more secure, manageable, and cost-effective endpoint management and control platform on nearly any x86-64 device. Easily acquired through just two feature-rich software offerings—Workspace Edition and Enterprise Management Pack—IGEL software offers exceptional value per investment. In addition, German endpoint solutions from IGEL offer the best hardware warranty (5 years), the best software maintenance (3 years after end of life) and the best management functionality in the industry. IGEL saves businesses large sums of money by extending the useful life of their existing terminals while precisely controlling all devices running IGEL OS from a single dashboard interface. IGEL has offices around the world and is represented by partners in more than 50 countries. For more information about IGEL, visit www.igel.com.
LG on social media
Virtual showroom: https://www.lg.com/global/business/virtual-showroom/cloud-device
Innovation for a better life is the simple philosophy that sums up LG. We are LG Electronics, a comprehensive business solutions provider with over 140 global operations and over 70,000 employees worldwide. With our cutting-edge technologies and unparalleled understanding of customer needs across industries, we not only offer you products, but a true innovation partnership to support your success. LG Cloud Devices provides ultimate endpoints to create virtual office space in various business environments with seamless connectivity and enhanced security. Since launching our first zero client in 2012, LG has brought its unparalleled display technology to a full line of all-in-one products as well as thin clients and zero clients in mobile and desktop form factors to that customers can choose exactly what fits their business needs.
IGEL media contact:
Tel: +44 (0)7768 145571
Email: [email protected]